Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Thursday 1 July 2010

The Voyage starts.... Day One - Chichester to Ashlett Creek

Having checked round the boat one last time that everything was in its place and ready to go there was no more putting it off. With a slightly dry mouth I called the Lock control on the VHF and requested a lock out. "Come straight down" they replied. I told them that I was single handed - and almost as an after thought said "...and it's my first time".
I needn't have worried, the lock went like clockwork, the man holding my lines high above me commented that the boat must be new as he could smell the glass fibre resin and asked when I would be back. He did his best not to look too shocked when I lightly mentioned something about the 1st of July. Then I was out and motoring down through Itchenor Reach to my rendezvous with Peter Tiplady in "Siesta", his Drascombe Drifter and Richard Goldsmith in his Drascombe Coaster "Egret" at East Head.
After a brief diversion to the back of Hayling Island to wait for the tide we were off, sailing along the coast, past Portsmouth and into Southampton Water, across to Ashlett Creek to r/v with Nick Payne (Coaster "Virginia") and Simon Farley (Drifter "Sundance). Jim Hopwood was there to greet us but unfortunately would be unable to join us on the trip. After helping Simon with a leak (in his hull) he joined us as we walked to the Jolly Sailor for a beer and some supper.
The passage plan dictated an early start so bed by 21.00, for my first night afloat on the new boat.


Picture - Ashlett Creek with the sailing club in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment