Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Monday 13 August 2012

9th - 11th August Trip to Bembridge

Having just got back from holiday I didn't think I'd be able to escape so soon but opportunities created by  problems with a software update and good weather were too good to miss so 14.00 on Thursday saw me with Lawrence in his Shrimper Felicity waiting to leave the marina. For some reason there was a queue and we were about an hour behind schedule for our planned r/v with Richard G at East Head.
As we drew close, having had a cracking sail down the harbour in a reasonable wind and fantastic sunshine I called him on the radio and we agreed to go straight out across to Bembridge so he upped anchor to meet us.

Best laid plans ... and all that.....

I should have known it was too good to be true - no sooner had we got half way across the Winner sands - the fog rolled in. Lawrence and I pressed on hoping it would improve but by the time Richard called to say he was turning back we were already of the same mind - three plus hours in fog and a busy shipping lane to cross - not a good idea.

We rafted up inside East Head and consoled ourselves with a beer, or two... The mist rolled in around us - not too bad but perhaps you would call it atmospheric. The BBQ was lit and the feast prepared - until the BBQ went out and the frying pan came into it's own.

Friday 10th

The day dawned sunny and bright with no hint of the mist remaining. Following breakfast we set off in a good F3 easterly for Bembridge again. A great sail across - warm with flat seas and brilliant sunshine.

Felicity - with Lawrence

Egret - with Richard
We took the usual advantage presented to shoal draft cruisers and slipped past a few larger yachts waiting for sufficient water to enter the harbour and moored up on the beach on the port hand side as you enter the harbour - kedge anchors are a must here with a strong eddy that tries to turn you parallel to the beach.
Bembridge beach
The Harbour was busy with the local sailing club in full swing on what appeared to be the last day of an holiday activity week complete with prize giving and speeches. Lawrence decided to depart after lunch leaving Richard and I to visit the excellent chandlers.


Once the club activities had concluded, the harbour returned to its normal relaxed state.



We lit another, more successfully BBQ, and enjoyed some local sausages on it, before settling down with glass in hand to admire the sunset.

Sunset at Bembridge

Saturday 11th

Another fine day but much more wind and this time right on the nose for our return trip.

Bembridge exit
We motored all the way and Richard was soon some distance ahead. when drama occurred...

Drama...

I was about a mile from the Chi buoy and about 3 miles offshore when I spotted a canoeist paddling in the water. It was sufficiently rough for me to have sympathy for him and I did wonder if he was ok this far out  - I then spotted his two mates and was about to ignore them when the first canoist capsized - I watched as he tried to get back into his craft but could see he stood little or no chance in the strong wind and waves.

I turned and motored round to him and offered assistance which he quickly agreed to  - I suggested he cam on board me and we would see what we could do about his canoe. As I circled again getting a line ready and the boarding ladder down, his mates arrived but couldn't do anything to help him get back in. He was beginning to tire so I drifted down to them and helped him round to the ladder. The canoe went on a line astern and we started to head back towards Chichester.

It turned out he was an ex soldier training for a fund raising trip for children with diabetes - their plan is to canoe from Southampton to Land's End. We had to laugh, the capsize training was due to take place the next week....... He and his mates were trying to get to the Nab tower and back again to build up strength and confidence. I won't name him here but their website is http://www.kayak4kids.co.uk/

I wish them well in their trip and fundraising efforts.

Once I had dropped him at Hayling Island Sailing Club I joined Richard for a quick lunch before continuing up the harbour and heading for home.

A lovely couple of days with a bit of excitement thrown in.


No comments:

Post a Comment