Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Friday 26 October 2012

Last Sail of the season ? 23rd - 25th October 2012

The weather, although not sunny promised to be warm and dry so I thought I'd take a chance on a last sail.
Nick had launched on Monday and had spent the day fog bound in Warsash. With the light winds forecast and tide times as they were he planned to meet Marcus somewhere west of Cowes and didn't think they would be coming east.
So I planned to meet Adrian, who could get away for a day and potter in the harbour. So it was I came to be leaving home in the dark on Tuesday morning and driving down the A3 in quite thick fog, wondering if I was doing the right thing.

As usual, on arrival at the marina it was a lot clearer than it had been on the journey and once Adrian arrived we set off in light winds down the harbour, meeting up at Mengham Rithe for lunch.


 A quiet and deserted Itchenor Reach


The wind pipped up during the afternoon and we had a good sail back up the harbour. Adrian had to get back and I elected to use the marina facilities so went back to my berth for the night. - Curry and rice for supper - at last starting to use those tins that have been hanging around for ever it seems.....

Wednesday 24th

Following conversations with Nick, although they had come further east than originally planned  I decided that I needed to start preparing the boat for winter and decided to spend another day in the harbour. As it happened Jeff Lander was planning to sail and we compromised and he came with me.
The day was almost a repeat of the previous one, even to the extent of using the same buoy to tie up to for lunch - however there was a good wind and the sun came out so quite nice really.

 The Winner - even this was quiet

On the way back we managed to try and pinch a little too much ground on one tack and found the plate wouldn't go back down. It was a useful exercise removing the capping to release the drum line that had over run itself.

Up by the marina we ended up playing tag with a seal who kept popping up, on occasions quite near to the boat. He disappeared after more fish and we made our way back into the marina. On the menu tonight...chicken in white wine sauce, with rice...I've got a lot of rice.. followed by fruit salad.... gourmet or what?
Sunset in the marina


Thursday 25th

Sad day - end of season no doubt. I had to face it, all the cushions and bedding were getting decidedly damp so it was time to load them into the car, together with all the other kit that would benefit from a winter in the dry. It  didn't take as long as I thought it would, perhaps I really am getting better at keeping kit to a minimum .. I wish....


 Almost ready for winter

I left her ready to sail in the hope of grabbing another day or two but I suspect I'll winterise her after the November dinner at CYC and that will be it until next season .. roll on.


An amusing boat name

No comments:

Post a Comment