Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Friday 27 May 2011

Second thoughts

My planned 3 days on the boat was severely curtailed due to strong winds - it all started well - down to the boat on Wednesday, some provisions from Tesco and a visit to Cover to Cover to check out their spray hoods. Funny how many of their catalogue pictures feature well known Drascombes and often their owners as well....

I was away down the harbour just after lunch, but had already abandoned plans to cross to the island, hoping that the forecast winds would not be too strong within the harbour.
Crossed paths with Jeff Lander in his lugger 'Lugworm' on the way down and had a quick shouted conversation - I think he may have been trying to warn me .....

East Head was deserted and after supper I rowed in and had a walk around.


The sand gets wind blown into some fantastic patterns.


There was a old clinker 'gentlemans' motor yacht in the bay and he provided the evening's entertainment by rowing to the shore with his black dog, a lab I think, and managed to keep the dog in the dinghy until he hauled it up the beach so the dog could get out without getting wet. They set off for a walk and eventually reappeared at the top of the dunes - whereupon the dog tore down the beach after some gulls, straight into the water - accompanied by much shouting and cursing from his owner, who then rowed back to his boat with a wet, sandy but happy dog . Deep joy on that boat no doubt.

The wind got up over night and at about 5.00 am the man and his dog departed and shortly afterwards so did I  - thinking that the wind over tide conditions when the tide turned would be truly horrible, so in bright sun but with heavy clouds gathering I set off with a scrap of jib out doing 5 knots......

To avoid getting soaked I ducked into the Bosham Channel and in the lee of the trees picked up a buoy, where after a brief return to my bunk I had a very leisurely breakfast.
I then had my first go at working on the boat - yes, working - money for gainful employment working - that type. The table and my 'Comfort Chair' as recommended by Richard G worked wonders and I got quite a lot done on the current project - until the battery on the laptop ran out. I had left the inverter in the car so that put an end to that but I did a few odd jobs around the boat before setting off for the marina at low tide.
The wind and accompanying waves in the main channel were horrendous  - surfing up between boats with the dinghy being flipped over and over until the painter wound up tight - thankfully I had already taken the seat out.
In the calm of the Itchenor Reach I sorted it all out and on the approach called up the marina to lock in - from the time it took them to respond they obviously didn't think anyone would be coming in or out that day.....
Getting in the berth looked as though it would be hard work but I slipped in very neatly - getting some applause from some on lookers - just as well I didn't make a hash of it then.

I helped some chap who had run his trailer wheel off the edge of the slip way get it out again. He had a smaller boat than mine and much lighter to - he was planning to meet some friends who were launching at Fareham,  outside Langston and go across to the Island... he must have been 70+  - I told him it was like sailing in a washing machine but unperturbed he set out for the lock once he'd finished rigging - I hope he was ok.

So I earned some brownie points by coming home early - I'll save them up for next time .......

No comments:

Post a Comment