Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Tuesday 3 June 2014

Review of Ezetil coolbox/fridge

Although it is early days I thought I'd post a review of my recent acquisition - an Ezetil coolbox /fridge.  To be fair I have only used it for the recent rally at the marina but by the time I get to review it properly we will be in the midst of summer and it will be too late.


 It looks like any other cool box although they do try the carbon fibre approach to make it look 'go faster'
The wires - both 240 v plug and 12 v cigarette cable are housed in the rear of the lid and are pre connected at the box end which avoids confusion with other cables and leaving the cable at home by mistake.




Inside it has perhaps a slightly smaller capacity than some at 22 litres - it's certainly enough for two or three days cold provisions.


In the inside of the lid is a fan arrangement that most cooling boxes have, but this also has a proper heat sync that gets very cold indeed.


As always it's best to put frozen or at least chilled food inside to give it a head start, which I did. I then plugged it into the car for the hour or so journey down to the boat - I stopped off in Tesco to get some more items and placed these in the box which I found the be very cool - fridge like indeed.

From then on during the rally I alternated from shore power (for the Drascombers amongst you that will seem like a foreign term, I know...) and battery power when running the engine - three days later a previously frozen pint of milk still had ice crystals in it.

The box has a boost system when running on 240 v which gets it going quicker - but on battery power when no boost is available the makers claim to be able to get approx 18 degrees C below ambient temperature and to prevent power drain the unit monitors the temperature to adjust accordingly. I'm not too techie but at 12 v it mentions 48 w - but there is no real correlation into amp hours - It claims to be low draw and evidence supports this. However I suspect you would need a good chunky battery and a means of charging it to get the best out of it.

The other reason for the perhaps premature post is that I bought it from Cost Co which means they may not hang around for long - - it was about £70 inc VAT which is average for a good cool box and very cheap for one that actual works as a respectable fridge - certainly on initial findings.

Not suitable for all but a potential bonus to slightly bigger boats with suitable charging mechanisms.

Update :- 210617

The coolbox is still going strong, in fact it was a life saver in recent hot weather in France and here in the Uk. The weak point was established to be the handle that finally gave up but I put the box into one of those large life time supermarket bags and  rogged up a bungy to connect the two carrying handles and it is fully functional again.

No comments:

Post a Comment