Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Cornish Shrimper - Daislebee

Sunday 9 December 2018

Review of 2018 season

What a summer....some great sailing, some great company, some excitement, some sadness ...lots to remember

I managed over 45 nights on board this year - not all on Daislebee but on a boat nonetheless..

Looking at my checklist I am please that I accomplished most of it.

  •  the fitting of a double battery solar panel management system to replace the single and very successful system I installed two or three years ago. 
        -  DONE and working well
  • fitting an extendable bowsprit using a carbon fibre rod to pole out a cruising shute.
       - DONE - modified and improved.
  • replacing my Garmin 451 that has become unreliable, with a Raymarine Dragonfly 5m plotter
      - DONE but not too impressed with the budget Dragonfly chartplotter that I bought - does the job           but no more - lacks some important features
  • polishing the hull
      -  DONE...but needs looking at - last a few weeks and then back to chalky white
  • filling and fairing a few of the knock to the keel that have taken place over the years
      - DONE but need to complete with coppercoat
  • installing some new wooden storage boxes to replace the plastic ones that were just a little too big
      - DONE - bought from IKEA and very successful
  • and of course a general tidy up - always overdue.......
       - ON GOING


Sadness - the passing of Stewart Brown - much missed.

Excitment - first rounding of the Isle of Wight - nearly getting run down by a Chinnok helicopter.

All in all a bumper year....2019 beckons with interest.


3 comments:

  1. Sir, I have been enjoying reading your blogs. Would you care to perhaps consider doing a piece on the following;
    (a) How trailable\launchable you find Daislebee, and perhaps clarifying whether it is a 19 or 21 footer Shrimper version. Is it a vessel you could consider trailing for a weekend destination?
    (b) Without being disloyal to your Drascombe associates, how she sails when in their company, i.e. is she as handy to windward etc,
    (c) When you were making the choice for a Shrimper, you presumably considered the Cape Cutter, Bay Raider, Norfolk Gypsy, Drascombe Coaster etc, what was it that determined your final choice?
    Thankyou, and Kind Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Daislebee is a Shrimper 19 - the 21 version only came to market two or three years ago. The Shrimper mast arrangements have been modified since I bought mine in 2010. They now have a pivoting bowsprit that acts as the leverage required for the angle to raise and lower single handed. I have made a modification to do the same and it can be a single handed operation, on land. I wouldn't like to do it afloat - for bridges etc.
    The spars and sails are heavy and really need to be separated from the mast before it goes up or down and this re attachment adds to rigging time... so in answer to your question I would only trail if it were a Friday to Monday weekend...about an hour and a half to rig or de rig which is too long for me.
    She sails well with them..better to windward most of the time - due to the boom and generally a similar pace although I am getting faster each season. A heavier boat than the Coaster , more comfortable in a blow. However due to her low profile quite a wet boat over the bow unless you have a sprayhood. Conversely visibility is better than the Coaster because of the profile.
    I chartered a Shrimper and a Cape Cutter to compare. Shrimper won. Inboard engine, better build and the hatch way to the Cutter is very narrow..with wet weather gear etc too narrow. I also needed 3 berths at the time which put the Coaster and others out of the picture. The Drascombe D22 would have been a contender - so much room inside and a very comfortable boat but I had set my heart on a Shrimper many years ago and was not easily dissuaded. Very happy with her - no regrets.
    Hope this assists
    DP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sir, a very informative reply. Would love to see that sort of detail fleshed out in a blog sometime, perhaps with some internal accomodation views, or a video. I have not heard of the Drascombe D22, I shall give it a look. I do like the Drascombe in general, but I can't get past the potential to lock the rudder in situ with a bent stock, thus Shrimpers and Cape Cutters are within my sights. Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete